More About What Massage Therapy Is Beneficial For, Besides Relaxation
Massage therapy or merely massage was initially used thousands of years before. Ancient writings contain references for massage in Japan, Egypt, Greece, and the Indian subcontinents. Massage first gained popularity in the United States during the nineteenth century. In mid twentieth century, progressions in medicine outshone massage treatment. Then the use of massage therapy was revived in the 1970s. More than eighty types of massage treatments exist for manipulation of soft tissue. The aim of massage is to boost oxygen and blood flow, relax the tissue, and lower pain levels. The physical therapy clinics BetterPT partners with accept a wide variety of insurance coverage. We also offer the feature for you to search specifically for physical therapy clinics who take your insurance. Simply choose your location and provider in the search bar and you will be able to schedule appointments with clinics within a matter of minutes.The physical therapy clinics BetterPT partners with accept a wide variety of insurance coverage. We also offer the feature for you to search specifically for physical therapy clinics who take your insurance. Simply choose your location and provider in the search bar and you will be able to schedule appointments with clinics within a matter of minutes. There are many different clinics, facilities and physical therapists for patients to choose from, but when you select the one that you’d like to work with, it’s often because of how comfortable and confident they make you feel. From the moment you step into the physical therapy facility, you should get the feeling that no matter how you move forward, you and your team will be on the same page when it comes to treatment, exercise and expectations. In order to put current and prospective patients – as well as those that are simply looking to learn more about physical therapy – at ease and to answer some questions, Dr. Karena Wu of Activecare BetterPT online physical therapy sat down with one of her patients, Tawana Howard and answered some of the most common (and important) questions that people have about physical therapy.
Have A Look At These Common Forms Of Massage Therapy:
Shiatsu Massage: The massage therapist applies various rhythmic pressure using their fingers on the parts on your body which are believed to be essential for promoting the flow of qi, an important type of energy.
Deep tissue Massage: This type of massage therapy uses strokes and patterns as well as deep finger pressure on the parts of the body that has tight muscles.
Swedish Massage: The massage therapist is making use of kneading, friction and long strokes to relax the muscles. Joints are moved for enhancing flexibility.
Trigger Point Massage: Another term for this type of massage therapy is pressure point massage. The massage therapist uses deep focused pressure on tight knots which forms in the muscles and can result in symptoms in various other parts of the body. You can also look into the benefits of Cardiotech massage chairs for massage therapy at home.
Research About The Benefits Of Massage Therapy
Massage therapy has been found to be highly effective for patients who suffers from conditions that include recovery from heart bypass surgery, lower back pain, anxiety, cancer, migraines, high blood pressure and carpal tunnel syndrome. Some research was conducted by the Ohio State University. They’ve tested the advantages of massage therapy and these were their findings:
- Within just a few days, the muscles who were massaged after a workout recovered approximately sixty percent of their strength. This compared to about fourteen percent of strength recovery in muscles that were left to simply rest.
- The muscles that were massaged after exercising also presented fewer damaged fibers with almost zero white blood cells in comparison to rested muscles. The non-appearance of white blood cells is an indication that it wasn’t necessary for the body to work in order to repair muscle damage after a workout.
- Another finding revealed that the massaged muscles weight more or less eight percent less than rested muscles, showing a reduction in swelling.
The Following Guidelines Apply For Getting The Most Out Of Your Massage Treatment:
- Avoid eating right before a massage.
- Arrive on time. When you show up in a rushed state, it will take longer for you to start relaxing.
- Only remove the quantity of clothing that you feel comfortable with. However, ensure the clothing that you still have on won’t hinder the therapist from massaging you.
- If you are allergic to lotions, powders or oils, alert your massage therapist, so that they can use a replacement.
- Report any discomfort you’re experiencing during the massage.
- Remember to relax your mind and muscles during the massage.
- Normalize your breathing to help you to relax.
- If you’re feeling lightheaded or dizzy after massage therapy, wait before getting off the table.
- Drink extra water after getting massage therapy.