Social Security: Your Online Application
A Social Security number is a vital piece of information in our society, and as essential to your day to day living as your door keys or credit card. It can unlock the doorways to a range of essential services and make everyday living a smoother and more straightforward process.
Like so many processes in the modern world, creating an online application is the easiest method of getting hold of a social security number if yours has been stolen or misplaced. The system makes the whole task faster and simpler, allowing you to focus on more interesting tasks.
Why Do I Need A Social Security Card?
There is a range of reasons why you may need a new social security card, such as:
- Applying for a new card as a non-US citizen
- Your card has been lost or stolen
If you lose your card or are a victim of theft, it is essential that you start the report and replacement process as quickly as possible to reduce your risk of becoming a victim of identity theft.
What Do I Do?
Requesting a replacement social security card is easy, and requires a few simple documents. There are just a few steps to follow:
Complete an SS-5 Application.
The required SS-5 application form is the first step in accessing a new social security card. It is accessible online and requires information such as your name, date of birth, and address. Collect all of the required documents
You will need to acquire several important documents to apply for your new social security card. These will need to cover a variety of components, such as:
- Age of applicant
- Type of application – New, replacement, or update
- The applicant’s citizenship status – A US-born citizen applying for a replacement will need different documents to a non-US citizen applying for their first number.
It’s important to remember that all documents must be originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. The department will be unable to accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.
- Submit your application to your Social Security Office
- Once you have completed an SS-5 form and have collected all your required documents, the whole lot will need to be presented at your local Social Security Administration Office. There are two ways to do this: in person or sending documents in the mail. If attending in person, you will need a form of ID, such as a US passport, a US driver’s license, or a state-issued non-driver identification card.
The process is simple to complete, and it takes place quickly. From the time you submit the application to the day you receive your new card is usually around two weeks. It is also important to remember that if your card is lost or stolen, the replacement will be free.
It is possible to complete the application on behalf of someone else, but you will need proof which demonstrates your relationship to this individual.