Spring cleaning the roof checklist from Patriot Roofing and Construction
It’s springtime once again. Thus your roof deserves a little maintenance to keep it in good working condition. Remember, you need to get your property’s roof cleaned off from ice and other debris after the winter season ends. If you’re concerned about your roof’s condition, there are many things you can do to help preserve it as the weather starts to get nicer and warmer. The earlier you can spot and repair small problems, the less likely they will grow into the costly ones. So, here’s a checklist of some spring cleaning tips that your roof needs from the very beginning.
- Check your shingles.
The moment the winter season ends, it’s better to review the shingles around your roof for possible damage. You may need to fix or replace some shingles if they begin to break off.
- When you also notice situations where shingles are peeling, the best thing you should do is to have them replaced as soon as possible.
- Take note, you should inspect shingles regardless of they are made from. For example, asphalt shingles usually wear out quickly while slat and rubber shingles potentially crack aside due to icy conditions.
- Free gutters from leaves and other debris.
Always keep in mind, having a healthy roof also means having a healthy gutter system. Having said it, it’s important to clean out your roof’s gutters once the weather becomes nicer again. Chances are they’re filled with leaves and other dangerous debris.
- To get the work done, either ask for help from a professional or do it yourself. If you perform a DIY gutter cleaning, make sure you carefully climb a ladder and clear all the pathways so water can flow freely.
- Clogged gutters can result in water overflow during the heavy rains, thereby leading your roof to water damage. On one hand, you may also review signs of wear and tear on your gutters while you’re cleaning.
- Cut the trees nearby.
If you see some trees which are getting close to your roof, then it’s about time to trim or remove them permanently.
- Remember, scraping leaves and tree branches can damage your roof. They can also cause moss growth, thereby making it difficult for moisture to drain properly.
- Also, getting your trees trimmed not only protects your roof but it also prevents them from piling up onto it during the fall.
- To check the trees nearby, it’s a good idea to hire a professional to do the work for you if you don’t have the proper equipment. This way, your roof will not be threatened.
- Remove moss, mold, and dirt.
Spring – it’s that time of year once again that you should give your roof a good wash. You can make use of some under-the-sink cleaners to remove any moss or mold. Too many molds, excess dirt, mildew, and debris can compromise your roofing system. Hence, it’s better to clean off your roof to make sure any damage will not void your roofing materials’ warranty.
- Take a look at your attic and home
Apart from checking your shingles, you should also review the attic or other space in your home. Once the weather becomes warmer, don’t forget to check any signs of water damage in the mentioned areas.
- The spaces should come out dry with no excess light coming through it. At some point, you may need these areas repaired or replaced depending on the extent of damage it may cause to your property.
- Moreover, try to look for any mildew deposits that may have developed in the space during the winter season.
- Keep in mind, these can be considered as major roof issues that will not only require replacement or repair but also extensive cleaning. By cleaning these spaces extensively, you’re also keeping the surface from becoming too dangerous to the people living in the home.
Remember, the spring season is the best time to check your roofing system and make sure they’re functioning properly. So never hesitate to spend a little more time knowing how well your roof is after the winter season. This way, you can be assured of a functional roof that will protect you and your family from rain, snow, and other dangerous debris. With the tips presented above, we hope you find this article useful for your roofing maintenance. And if you think you need help in fixing or inspecting any part of your roof, there are roofing companies like Patriot Roofing and Construction that can help. These service providers can provide efficient, fast roof repairs that you can take full advantage for the benefit of your roofing system.
Check our latest guide : How to access the value of your home