Guide to Choosing The Best Paint and Color For Your Home
Painting is one of the easiest ways to make your house appear new. In fact, you might find a century old house looking like a newly constructed house, all because of the paint. What matters is the choice of color and type of paint. Even in real estate sector, they are investing much on the painting. The main aim it to appeal to more customers. Additionally, painting helps to increase the value of a property.
Painting your house shouldn’t be hard or expensive. With the correct type of paint, you can achieve a fabulous look. Also, while choosing the color; it’s important to be conscious of color psychology. The kind of color you use affects the daily moods and feelings. Additionally, the paint durability is also a factor to consider. However, sometimes, you will make mistakes and the final product won’t impress you. Don’t worry, that’s how you will learn. Also, don’t have a fixed mind, try new different color combinations. Because of the increased number of paint brands on the market, we have a shall show you to choose the right paint and colors. Also, we shall discuss how to select an exterior color.
Choosing the Right Paint Type
The first step is to decide the type of paint you need. Today, we have two categories of paints. We have water based latex and oil based/solvent based. There are differences between the two types.
The latex paints have a larger percentage of water as the solvent. Likewise, the solvent based have petroleum compounds and other organic solvents. If you consider the popularity and usability, latex controls over 70% of the market. It has an upper hand on the quality and durability.
Below is a quick comparison between Oil Based and Latex Based Paints;
|Oil Based Paints||Latex Based Paints|
|Lifespan||It is excellent on chalked surfaces compared to latex.||It is more elastic and good on wide variety of substrate.|
|Simplicity of Application||It has viscous thus, more harder to apply.||It’s easy to use, with even and smooth application.|
|The Degree of Odor||Has strong smell.||
|Color Retaining Ability||This one upon exposure to strong sun; it’s prone to fading.||It can withstand harsh sunlight, without fading or chalking|
|Drying Period||It takes longer time 8-24 hours.||Less time to dry: 1-12 hours.|
Choosing the Right Shine
After you settle on the right paint type, it is now time to decide on the gloss you like. This depends on the area of application. For instances, the bathroom finish will be different for that one of the kitchens. Also, the one for the bedroom will be different. The type of sheen you use in the house can mean a lot. Thereby, understanding various paint shines is essential.
The following are some of the available sheen and their appropriate applications.
- Flat/Matte: These are the paints without sheen. Upon application, they provide a smooth and subtle gloss. They are excellent in places with little traffic like living rooms and bedrooms. Washing off stains is difficult. The paints are ideal for concealing imperfections in the surface.
- Eggshell: These pains have higher luster than matte. Their formulation allows them to be perfect for low traffic areas. These are places like walls, hallways and family rooms. Washability is good than flat.
- Satin: This paint gloss is attractive. It provides a smooth and elegant finish. If you want to paint active areas, it’s a perfect choice. The versatility is high, and it is usable for both interior and interior.
- Semi-Gloss: The sheen is ideal for high traffic areas. It’s easy to scrub and easy to wash. The paint luster offers a smooth and reflective surface. You can use it in outdoors and indoors. It is applicable in bathrooms, kitchen, and doors. So, semi-gloss paint can be painted on both outer and inner surfaces of your home.
- Gloss: The sheen is simple to scrub clean and offer a super fine surface. It’s ideal for areas which need frequent washing.
Selecting the Right Paint Color
Now that you have the type of paint and sheen type, now it’s time for choosing the ideal color. The color type will differ, depending on different aspects. If you want to paint the bedroom, it varies with the living room. Colors always affect or moods and feeling. For instance, you can’t decorate your bedroom with red color paint. Combining different colors can help to offer a sober mood. Also, colors like green and purple make your room appears spacious.
The most important aspect is to follow the color wheel. With it, you will have a good plan. It ensures that no chance of messing when planning and painting. In most cases, try to combine primary colors. It will result in a more soothing coating.
The natural lighting is also a factor to consider. Natural light is ideal aspect when painting. Choose the colors that will increase the light intensity even during dull conditions. For instance, white is reflective. It will reflect more light if painted next to large windows. Additionally, take time and assess your favorite colors. That’s one great way of elevating your home experience.
How to Ensure A Pleasant Looking Environment Always?
Maintaining exceptional conditions isn’t hard. It’s also simple and requires you just play around with colors. When painting your room, don’t use the same color. A combination of different colors from the same group is a prudent idea. When painting other components, try the same method. This blend of colors in the same room offers a beautiful look.
The trim used in the bedroom should be different from one used in the living room. Also, paint your kitchen and bathrooms with different trims. This creates new feeling when one moves from one place to another.
Understanding colors can also play the part in beautifying the house. Different shades have varying emotional feelings. In the living room, warm trims are ideal. You can use colors like red, orange, and yellows. These are colors known to create conversation atmospheres. In the kitchen, you need a color that will keep your memories. Thus, painting blue and white can be a perfect color.
The bedroom should be a place to relax both body and mind. Choosing the paint color is, thus, critical. White or warm colors like green blue and lavender are a perfect match. Others, like the bathroom, white and warm colors has a perfect fit.
Achieving an Elegant Look
A careful selection of colors not only gives a nice look. It also gives a stylish appearance. Creating a beautiful house just involve applying neutral color paints. Having different neutral finishes in the home creates a pleasant condition. They are also versatile; changing from one trim to another is easy. You can complement this look by incorporating other accessories with a differing finish.
Creating A Vibrant Appearance
As you plan to make your house beautiful, think of an outstanding interior. It isn’t a complicated exercise. All that matters is the ability to put the right color combination. Knowing the close related shades is the first step. As stated earlier, the color wheel will be useful for a great and vibrant looking house. You can achieve a sparkling condition. Choose eye appealing shades like silver and orange. Complement them with the like ones in the chart. The resulting combination will be stunning.
How to Make the Ceiling Lively?
The ceiling is one of the most important parts of a house. Its color is also a determinant of the house beauty. It’s impossible to lower or raise the position of your ceiling. But, with the correct color, it is possible. The lighter shades make the room appear large. Same can happen if you apply light colored paint on the ceiling.
If your ceiling has a dull finish than walls, it will appear lower. The desire among people is to maintain their rooms looking spacious. There are ideal colors that have a perfect match to your ceiling. Some of these top rated shades include white and creamy ivory. A combination of white ceiling and dull walls the white accent tends to disappear. Also, the color is ideal for reflecting back light into the room.
Design A Perfect Focal Point
In every house, there is a focal point. This is the first place you when you enter. Creating an appealing focal point is what you should aim. The way you paint the house can enhance the space how big or small your house will be. It is advisable to pay attention to the ways you decorate your house. This helps to draw your eyes more in that area than others. Also, it makes house enjoyable thus uplifting your mood.
One way of creating a focal point is by painting one wall with a different color. This can be lighter color if rests walls are dull and vice versa. Also, accessorize the wall with images or others different colored items. It could be cabinets, shelves or artworks.
How to Select Exterior Color and Paint For Home
Choosing the exterior color isn’t as complicated as for interior. For the external application, people looks for how durable is the paint. Also, the weather conditions are factors. Cold places people tend to use more dull colors to absorb the slightest heat. In hotter areas, lighter colors are ideal. Here are factors to consider for exterior colors and paints.
- Cost: You don’t want to spend all money on buying paint. Buying premium quality paints will ensure you get a durable product. This ensures you don’t keep going back to the shop after a short period.
- The Building Materials: Every building material has the correct type of paint. It is worthwhile to know the compatible type of paint with your construction material. Also, the color of material and paint is necessary. For instance, it’s wise to choose blue color if you have red bricks in the foundation.
- Durability and Performance: The exterior paints are subject to changing weather conditions. They should, thereby, be able to withstand these harsh elements. Choose the coat that will not fade when exposed to strong sunlight.
- Resistant from Mold, Mildew and Ultraviolet Distortion: With advancement ion tech, we have paints that are resistant to many damage elements. Most of them come enhanced with mold inhibiting chemicals and mildew protection. Also, they are resistant to ultraviolet damage.
- Choose Color Scheme that is Compatible with Neighborhood Houses: The community determines the type of color one has to choose. Being unique is important. But, sometimes put unique color combinations. But, rotate just around the same colors in the neighborhood.
- Select Color that Reflects Regional Influence: In some areas, people paint their houses depending on their culture or terrain. Before you paint your house, it is important to check these parameters.
- Landscaping: Finally, choose the color that will complement existing features. If there are existing trees or water body, use a color that will complement them.
Painting a house whether interior or exterior should be easy. Also, it should be as cheap as possible. When choosing your paint color, the color chart wheel is the easiest way to paint your home. This is because you don’t need to guess. You have a chance to get the painting design of your dream. Get the perfect paint and color and live a pleasurable life. In fact, try making painting one of your hobbies. As a result, you will always create a look that resonates to your personality. Additionally, you can make painting one a family activity. This way, you’ll have time to bond and instill to your kids a very vital skill. Furthermore, keep an eye on the current trends on the market. Additionally, check the paint companies recent technologies.